Sedans don’t have the same hot-ticket cachet as crossovers these days, but that’s no reason not to like them. If you do like them—or even if you don’t—the 2019 Nissan Altimanew Altima in our full preview story.
1. It offers all-wheel drive. It’s the first time an Altima has offered AWD, and among the three best-selling midsize sedans in the U.S., it’s the only one to offer the feature.
2. The VC-Turbo engine. First shown off by Infiniti in the all-new QX50 luxury crossover, the VC-Turbo engine is a brilliantly simple solution to an immensely complex problem. To learn more about it, read our deep dive here.
3. It has advanced driver assistance features. Including ProPILOT Assist, which shares the load with the driver on steering, acceleration, and braking under some conditions, including single-lane highway driving. The system is standard on the SV, SL, and Platinum lines.
4. Automatic rear braking system. If you’re backing up and the system detects an obstacle in your path, the Rear Automatic Braking system will automatically apply the brakes to prevent a collision. RAB is part of the Nissan Safety Shield 360 package, which also includes automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, lane departure warning, blind-spot warning, rear cross-traffic alert, high-beam assist, and more.
5. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Both are standard, and so is an 8-inch color touchscreen display.